'Enthusiast Eccentrics' may make better owners than...

Talk about architecture, building, and general media, marketing, and advertising. For both online and dead-tree publishing. Bring your examples, news, philosopy, challenges, Q&A. Readers, writers, editors, publishers, agencies all welcome.

'Enthusiast Eccentrics' may make better owners than...

Postby Kevin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:33 pm

From the Folio mag blogs...

Bloomberg and BusinessWeek: The Future of Magazines?
'Enthusiast Eccentrics' may make better owners than public companies.

Ted Bahr at Folio wrote:Many years ago when I had the good fortune to work for Ziff-Davis, I read a quote from Bill Ziff about how publishing had changed. I've lost the quote but it went something like this:

"It used to be that our business was run by enthusiastic eccentrics—people who worked and lived day in and day out in their markets and hardly even realized that they were running a 'business,' in the classical sense, at all."

I brought this idea up speaking to a roomful of publishers at the Niche Magazine Conference in April—that the future may be linked to the past and that the magazines of tomorrow need to be published by independent entrepreneurs and smaller, dedicated companies.

Like Inc. magazine, which was purchased a few years ago by Morningstar founder Joe Mansueto, BusinessWeek under Michael Bloomberg can hopefully enjoy a life beyond the super strict demands of a publically-held company like McGraw-Hill...

The interesting read continues...
http://www.foliomag.com/2009/bloomberg- ... -magazines
Kevin
Site Admin

Return to Publishing and Media Discussion