NY Times - The Medium Is the Medium

Talk about architecture, building, and general media, marketing, and advertising. For both online and dead-tree publishing. Bring your examples, news, philosopy, challenges, Q&A. Readers, writers, editors, publishers, agencies all welcome.

NY Times - The Medium Is the Medium

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm not that big a fan, overall, of the commentaries by David Brooks - tends a bit too much toward rhetorical or partisan posturing for my interest - but I think this column by Brook hits some interesting points, pretty dead-on.

The Medium Is the Medium - New York Times, 2010.0708
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/09/opinion/09brooks.html

"Recently, book publishers got some good news. Researchers gave 852 disadvantaged students 12 books (of their own choosing) to take home at the end of the school year. They did this for three successive years."

"Then the researchers, led by Richard Allington of the University of Tennessee, looked at those students’ test scores. They found that the students who brought the books home had significantly higher reading scores than other students. These students were less affected by the “summer slide” — the decline that especially afflicts lower-income students during the vacation months. In fact, just having those 12 books seemed to have as much positive effect as attending summer school. ..."
Kevin
Site Admin

Return to Publishing and Media Discussion