Touchbar

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Touchbar

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 pm

I’m curious how many of our users are using a MacBook Pro with touchbar?

With the latest machines, the touchbar is no longer optional, so I think we’ll be seeing the touchbar around for a long time and on more keyboards and accessories.

And if there is to be a place for it in PowerCADD and WildTools, what might it be used for?

I was intrigued with this when it first came out but it would only be on a small fraction of our users’ machines, so it would be very limited and not worth the programming effort on our end. And it was only available on laptop machines.

But this concept is the basis for favorite offsets in button docks, and this works on all machines. Since then, the concept has grown to include many other favorites (dimensions, trees, balloon text, etc).

PowerCADD has a toolbar, and it might make sense to display some the most important toolbar items on the touchbar, if it is available on the keyboard.

Anyone got any ideas?

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Re: Touchbar

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Hmmm. Here’s one idea.

Many users assign command keys for their favorite tools, and the tool icons are now vector icons which can change depending on settings in PowerCADD or WildTools. So I could see a place in the touchbar for Line, Offset Line, Parallel Offset, Trim, Offset Repeat, Move Points, Linear Move, Knife, Scissors, Needle, Delete, Rotate, etc. These choices could all be shown with the same familiar icons, so it would save you the trouble of memorizing and setting the command keys.

We could select these in the WildTools Preferences pane, but that would require that we have a fixed number of potential touchbar favorite tools.

I still have an old white keyboard for my two-monitor iMac 27, but I would be very interested if I could have a separate keyboard with a touchbar, or even a separate touchbar.

By the way, the touchbar is not actually part of the computer or the keyboard. It’s actually a separate USB accessory hooked up internally, and it has its own operating system which is a derivative of the WatchOS. How ‘bout them apples!

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby poolvibe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:07 pm

I use my MBP as more of a "brain" with an external monitor and external KB and Mouse so the touch-bar is typically not even accessible. If there was an external KB that had the touch-bar, I would consider it into the workflow.
poolvibe

Postby patrickm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm

As one who works on an iMac, I've never quite understood the attraction of the touchbar. I try to keep my hands on the keyboard as much as possible, so moving a hand up to use the touchbar seems like it would slow me down. I do rely on a lot of (left-handed) key commands (since my right hand is frequently on my mouse).
patrickm

Postby Paul H » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Alfred - Using PC effortlessly with SketchUP is the big dream and hope in this campground. By contrast using the Touch Bar with PC is low priority for this camper.

However, the possibility of using the touch bar for tool icons is very interesting. Personally I don't like being dependent on always carrying a mouse when on a job site with my MBP. Currently I use the touch bar exclusively for brightness adjustment when I'm on the job site with PC and having the icons available on the touch bar would be more effective and may eliminate the need to carry the mouse. However I doubt I would use the Touch Bar when connected to my big screen.

Currently in the studio the MBP is elevated and open for two screens with some of the menu bars used on the MBP and the drawing and tools on the 27" screen. Reaching up to the menu bar is not effective in that set up. Separate keyboard and mouse is still the most effective for me.
Paul H

Postby Joe Mattei » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:55 am

I have suggested in the past that the process of measuring a building is a cumbersome (pain in the spam) task. Pencil and paper have made way for the MBP (on a rolling cart) to ease the process by drawing everything as it is measured. I can see where the tool bar would be very helpful and could save time. Because the MBP screen size is limited for tools and drawing, a palette of options on the Touch Bar would work well. Touching a door icon would bring up choices of type and size etc., windows, similar....
Joe Mattei

Return to PowerCADD Discussion