House building software

Discuss 3D CAD and architectural software, and architectural rendering and design media-related topics. Moderated by the Artifice Customer Support Team.

House building software

Postby rasmusjc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:45 am

Hi DC.com

I am going to build my own house this summer, therefore i would like to hear you about which program i should use for the drawnings.

I need software for the architectural plan og floorplan (don't know the right term) in 2d.

After that i would like to draw the house ind 3D, what is the best software for that solution?

Hope you can help me.

Rasmus Christensen, Denmark.
rasmusjc

Postby Antisthenes » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:25 pm

that depends on your experience up to now

if you have little i would say maybe one of the easiest ways would be Rhinoceros, especially if you are familiar with a bit of acad.
free for 25 saves and 150$ if you are taking any classes at a school for a commercial license.

good luck with your model lots of free support and good help is avail.
Antisthenes

Postby rasmusjc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for the answer Antisthenes.

So far i haven't done anything regarding such programs.

I have seen som tutorials for Autocad, used a guidebook to make a square house in ArchiCAD (only the walls).

Right now i trying Microsoft Visio, to build the house in 2d, but i don't think it's a very good program.

So im quite newbee. :oops:

Rhinoceros is that bouth 2d and 3d?

It's primarily the 2d im looking for at a start.
rasmusjc

Postby F700ES » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:36 am

rasmusjc wrote:Thanks for the answer Antisthenes.

So far i haven't done anything regarding such programs.

I have seen som tutorials for Autocad, used a guidebook to make a square house in ArchiCAD (only the walls).

Right now i trying Microsoft Visio, to build the house in 2d, but i don't think it's a very good program.

So im quite newbee. :oops:

Rhinoceros is that bouth 2d and 3d?

It's primarily the 2d im looking for at a start.

Rhino is a 3D Nurbs program. It's not the hardest to learn but WAY past simple 2D drafting. I would look at ProgeCAD Smart for your drafting needs
http://www.progecad.com/compra/prodotti ... smart.html
and Google SketchUp for any 3D needs that may come later.
http://www.sketchup.com/
No offense to Rhino, which is a very good program, just way more than you probably need. Much like driving a nail in a board with a nuclear jack hammer. ProgeCAD is an AutoCAD clone and you'll find WAY more resources for AutoCAD like programs than any other. SketchUp is the world's easiest 3D program. And can be used to take your 2D plans into 3D with ease.

Here is what can be done with an AutoCAD like program..

Then taken in SU..

Good luck on what ever you choose :)
F700ES

Postby Antisthenes » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 pm

yes the IntelliCads are good (which progecad is one of many)

http://www.intellicad.org/members/index.php

Rhinoceros can do it all, very simple and powerful, i don't think you would regret using it because it can do all levels of design for any discipline. and has allot of interoperability

too me progecad is too clone like of autocad(a crippled child whose pants are too small to grow their fat spam who only seek threatened upgrade profits on aesthetics refreshes and purposeful version incompatibilities), therefor somewhat crippled but you can do traditional stuff in it just as easy even the same Lisp, which RhinoScript is way more powerful too in comparison to.

not having a autocad background and having bad experience with visio and a small one with archicad (i really dislike it's snaps) you might want also to jump right into ADT or Revit. Also if you like the ADT concept(intelligent walls doors windows) a few IntelliCADs have this as well as a plugin for Rhino called VisualARq http://www.visualarq.com/gallery.htm#

and when i said the support being free and good at the rhino newsgroup that is here: http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewswe ... roup=rhino
Antisthenes

Postby F700ES » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Well I don't think this person is going to spend $5000 for ADT or Revit just to draw his own house. These are the reasons I pointed to some free and well known and supported examples.
As for RhinoScript being better that's your opinion.
F700ES

Postby Du3bz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:27 pm

I have a question about 3D home building software. I have my own business and there is a lot of pressure on my end to make sure that the customer gets to see a finished product before any of their money is spent. So quality and detail is of the utmost priority. Anyway, I know your probably going to laugh but i am currently using Punch! Architectural Series 3000 V.10. I got this program from a Best Buy store around the way. I know, go ahead and laugh it up. Not the best place to buy software for home building LOL. Me and my dad spent the $150 on it and to say the least, it wasn't worth a dime of that money. The features on it are horrible. As for ease of using the program, i couldn't complain. After using it for only a day i was able design my first project; which also happens to be the one me and my dad are negotiating now. So getting this project finished is very important. We're talking about a $15,000 profit when the job is finished. Anyway, this program has A LOT of bugs. It doesn't provide the best 3D views at all. I know its probably because the program was made in 2005 but I'm just trying to avoid using the Punch! brand altogether. Is there something a little more professional out there for me? I kind of have only 3 days to find a new program and get the project complete. Lucky for me its only an apartment with 2 rooms and 2 baths. But any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
Du3bz

Postby rasmusjc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:39 am

Again thanks for the reply's

One thing i haven't found measure a line.

For example.

The house im building is 22x14,5 meters i can make a rectangle with this units, its just typing in the x/y point.

After this i cant figure out how to make a line inside the rectangle a precisely 7 meters.

Cant find any rulers in the programs i have tried an i think thats the main reason why i can't draw the house i 2d.

What would be the best setup for grid and units for a house with that measurements? 22x14,5 meters.

Can see there is serval plug-ins for Rhinoceros is there any specifik that is good when drawing a house?
rasmusjc

Postby F700ES » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:37 am

Most CAD programs can do this in one way or another. As for units that depends on your region and needs. In the USA we use Feet and Inches. I have no idea for your situation. I have seen plans fron the UK in mm and meters.
I personally don't use grids. No real reason too.

rasmusjc wrote:Again thanks for the reply's

One thing i haven't found measure a line.

For example.

The house im building is 22x14,5 meters i can make a rectangle with this units, its just typing in the x/y point.

After this i cant figure out how to make a line inside the rectangle a precisely 7 meters.

Cant find any rulers in the programs i have tried an i think thats the main reason why i can't draw the house i 2d.

What would be the best setup for grid and units for a house with that measurements? 22x14,5 meters.

Can see there is serval plug-ins for Rhinoceros is there any specifik that is good when drawing a house?
F700ES

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:38 pm

just type in the distance you want your line and hit enter, maybe turn on Ortho, if you want them to go straight along your construction plane's YX' axis's, maybe use snaps, smart people start with snaps set proper so as not to create a mess. also turn on the Osnaps

there are many Rhinoceros in Architecture events coming to Europe

if you want a program that just draws it all for you, like i said revit or adt (surely you know about bittorrent) but as you enter them you enter a box, staying outside the box you might have to take more control over the process but you have more creative ability with it.

there are really only about 10 commands you will even use
curves
trim / extend
fillet
join
hatch
extrude
offset
text
dimension
boolean

the best if you are lost at the line, units and coordinate system distance entry would be just to sit and watch somebody who knows how to use a software and is willing to show you first hand a few simple things and ask questions
Antisthenes

Postby Du3bz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:04 pm

hmm i guess nobody can help me. You would figure this is an architect/design forum SOMEBODY would have an answer. But i guess you people really don't know anything about either. Thanks a lot for nothing and waste of my time on this site.
Du3bz

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:29 pm

you hijacked another thread double posted and your question is convoluted

what did you expect?

my same advise would go for you. take it or leave it :) have a great day!
Antisthenes

Postby Du3bz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:10 pm

LOL!! I guess you don't know how to read either. Jesus! If you think you are up to that task then you should be able to see my other post which almost 40 people have viewed already and no replies. And i don't think double posting on this thread is the reason. After all this IS a forum. Maybe you don't know much about that either. Its OK anyway, I just knew somebody would finally answer after i left something provocative. They always do. Anyway, hope i didn't hurt your feelings too bad. You'll get it someday kiddo. Have a nice day :D
Du3bz

Return to Architectural 3D CAD Discussion