Learning CAD/ Design Programs

Discuss 3D CAD and architectural software, and architectural rendering and design media-related topics. Moderated by the Artifice Customer Support Team.

Learning CAD/ Design Programs

Postby hulaga » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:03 pm

Hello, I am a first year architecture student and I was wondering which CAD/Design modeling programs I should learn as soon as possible, and which I should avoid.

I already know how to use AutoCAD and SketchUP. I was thinking of teaching myself how to use either Rhino or 3D studio max.

Thanks in advance.
hulaga

Postby Antisthenes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 pm

RHino for sure because you can do it all in there

but since you already know autocad you automatically know intellicad so that would be good to have.
Antisthenes

Postby sabavariagata » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:25 pm

many design firms here in Vancouver are upgrading their systems to Revit....seems to be a trend? has anyone else heard of or used this program?
sabavariagata

Postby Mauri » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:52 pm

What about Archicad and VectorWorks. In my opinion, the best ones.

http://www.desouza.arq.br
Mauri

Postby Antisthenes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:07 pm

ya just like mac is "best"
Antisthenes

Postby awii668 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:47 am

AutoCAD for drawing, SketchUP for draft and 3D max for model. My small website (AutoCADuser-defined.com) have some files about AutoCAD, maybe will be useful to you. :D
Attachments
CN-Tower001_dwg.jpg
CN-Tower001_dwg.jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 11356 times
awii668

Postby hulaga » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:32 pm

To me, Archicad looks like an upgraded version of sketchUP. Also thanks everyone for your opinion.
hulaga

3D programs

Postby svenglezz-ASMEIL » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:44 am

I am keeping a close eye on the latest and greatest softwares, always have and always will :).

In my field of mechanical / electrical seems this trend with Rivet and/or others is growing for now....but from what I have seen so far from the online seminars etc., MISTAKES, MISTAKES, MISTAKES not big ones, but mistakes none the less.

These "design" tools in these programs will lead to many mistakes that would have BIG costs to fix and odds are the mistakes would only be discovered after the project is complete and occupied.

And remember the software co. are not liable, thus YOU MUST DO ALL CALCULATIONS to ensure the design is correct. So in some ways you are not saving any time.

So for a m/e perspective, may want to keep clear for the time being (let them work out all the mistakes), it's still new for most software co.'s.

And if you do need “above-the-norm” programs for designing look to the manufactures for additional help and/or add-on softwares (example: for 3D ductwork go to Libad they make high-end ductwork etc. and have a tested software CADvent).

In the aspect of architectural I would go with what others have noted here. And Rivet is def. gaining some ground with Architects but remember the rest of the disciplines may not be using and when you send them your electronic files they may have issues that will take extra time to finish there design.

The other side to keep in mind is the flexibilitie of the software/design, are the disciplines integrated/"co-ordinated"? and/or can multiple people work on the same project at one time (ex: say I work on 1st floor while you work on the 2nd floor etc. etc.)

Hope it helps,
Sven
svenglezz-ASMEIL

Return to Architectural 3D CAD Discussion