Turning DWGs into PDF for issue

Discuss 3D CAD and architectural software, and architectural rendering and design media-related topics. Moderated by the Artifice Customer Support Team.

Turning DWGs into PDF for issue

Postby AckermanFancy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi,

When turning DWGs into PDFs for issue the file sizes become massive, too big to send in an email. I find this strange because the orginal DWGs were tiny. For example drawing M/002 was 272KB as a DWG but when converted it became 2.45MB. Any ideas why this is and how I could make them smaller?

I am using AutoCAD2004LT.

Thanks,
AckermanFancy

Postby Acheson Mark » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:44 am

Normally PDF files created with smaller or equal file size, but if it increases steep then there must be extensive x-referenced drawings associated with your "main" drawing, the drawing size to be converted should be main drawing plus x-ref drawings, if this is the case, there is no way to convert into smaller PDF file size and still keep all the drawing information, what I did to resolve/reduce the file size was try to convert drawing(s) into PNG image, and send out PNG file directly, get a try with the converter software, I found free download from here: http://www.autodwg.com/DWG2Image/
Acheson Mark

Postby lekizz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:51 am

My understanding is that because CAD drawings are 'vector' files they require to store far less information than PDF's. For example, to record a line, a vector file simply makes a note of the start point and end point, therefore a line 300km long can be recorded as easily as a line 3mm long. A non-vector file records all points along the whole of the line, therefore much more fixed information than a DWG, so an A1 size PDF drawing should in theory be four times the size of an A3 size PDF.

2.45MB is not really very big at all. I find it common to end up with PDF files over 10MB if they are of full-size drawings.
lekizz
millennium club

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:16 pm

move raster to Bitmap mode (2 colors) and it will reduce the filesize of that type more
Antisthenes

Return to Architectural 3D CAD Discussion