Major Upgrade for DesignCommunity...

This forum is for DesignCommunity forum suggestions and discussion of community administration issues. Post questions about forum posting guidelines here.

Major Upgrade for DesignCommunity...

Postby Kevin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:00 pm

As you can see, we're in the process of rolling out a major upgrade to these DesignCommunity forums.

In addition to a new look and feel and improved performance, this upgrade provides the technology platform to support a series of additional functions we expect to be rolling out over the coming days and weeks.

In general, these new features will appear as additional options around the edge of the forum system as you know it, which you'll be free to put to use if, when, and as you wish.

In case of issues with the forums online, please feel free to post questions and comments here, or to send email to "support@designcommunity.com"
Kevin
Site Admin

Re: Major Upgrade for DesignCommunity...

Postby csintexas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:08 pm

looks good
csintexas
millennium club

Postby SDR » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Congratulations !

I got scared for a minute: "Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest" meant I was a "guest" ! But that was before I logged in . . .

So far I like this improvement. Wish I could say the same for another architecture
site with a discussion forum, which recently installed its own upgrade. Somehow one
feels like a stranger -- more hemmed in than before ? Not here !

Nice colorway. There's no missing the names of the administrators, on the index . . . !
SDR
millennium club

Postby Kevin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks for the comment!

BTW, note that the info on users on the forum is specific to each section. And to get an overview of activity across all the sections go to the board index, where you'll usually see quite a bigger number.

Day or night, it seems there are always a dozen or two guests browsing, as well all the regular community member.
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby SDR » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks, Kevin. One feature I used regularly was "new posts since your last visit" (or words to that effect). Will this still be available ?
SDR
millennium club

Postby Kevin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Yeah, me too!

It's still here, on the left sidebar now, the second item, as "View new posts". I was thinking we might move it up to be the top item.

I'm also thinking the little icon that one clicks in the forum topics view, to the right of the poster name, to go straight to the latest post in a particular discussion thread...

...could use a little more emphasis, or some other fine-tuning. In the old format, the time-and-date of the most recent item in a thread was clickable, and the poster name wasn't. For now I'm reminding myself to click n the little document item to jump to the latest thread item.

View your posts is kind of a fun new item to have at the top level, there in the left sidebar, to see the sweep of ones contributions over time, and maybe to get back to something recent if one isn't quite sure where it was posted...
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby SDR » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Yes -- whatever takes one to the latest post in a particular discussion thread would be good to emphasize, I would say.

It's amazing that anyone can corral all these concepts and functions and make something that works; it would be way beyond me to do it ! Thanks for the good work, all who participated.

Steve
SDR
millennium club

Postby Kevin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Just an interim update...

Current work on the upgrade and rollout of new community features involves a lot of stuff backstage. So while there will be a general lull in improvements for up to a few days, please rest assured that Artifice technical staff is chugging away behind the scenes to support the next round of things you'll see.

:-)
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 am

An overall RSS feed for these forums is now available here:
feed://www.designcommunity.com/forums/feed.php
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Cutover to new hardware with updated server software is now underway. There are a few loose ends still - as well as new features to roll out once the cutover is confirmed and stable. Our judgment is that the service improvements from the new server are great enough to outweigh any residual tweaks that are needed.

The switchover to the new front-end server at your location can be confirmed by looking at the DesignCommunity site home page at...
http://www.DesignCommunity.com

...where the last line of the page will say "Server Four" when the DNS for your machine has updated.

You may see immediate improvement in the responsiveness and fine-grain appearance of the forums.

As always, please let us know of any significant or persistent problems you run into around here!
Kevin
Site Admin

Return to DesignCommunity Discussion