Nobel????

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

Shouldn't there be a Nobel prize for Architecture?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 5

Nobel????

Postby nipesh » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:27 am

Nobel prizes are considered to be the most prestigious prizes in the whole world, shouldn't we also be included in that?
:roll:
nipesh

ARE WE ARCHITECTS ELIGIBLE FOR IT?

Postby kenny p joy » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:53 am

HI NIPESH,
NOBEL PRIZE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST REWARDS A MAN CAN GET ON EARTH .NOBEL PRIZE INTRODUCED BY THE GREAT ALFRED NOBEL ,IS GIVEN TO GREAT PERSONNALS FOR THEIR VALUABLE EFFORTS FOR THE CAUSE OF GOODNESS OF THE EARTH AND ITS INMATES(WE PEOPLE) THROUGH VARIOUS FIELDS OF WORK.UNFORTUNATELY FOR US , IN THIS PREVILAGED LIST OF FIELDS ARCHITECTURE IS NOT INCLUDED .
DO U THINK ARCHITECTURE OR ARCHITECTS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PRECIOUS MARK? IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WAY WE THINK OVER THIS MATTER.IF U ARE COMPARING ARCHITECTURAL WORKS TO LITERARY WORKS U'LL FIND THEY ALL ARE SAME IN EVERY ASPECTS AND HENCE U CAN EASILY ARGUE THAT ARCHITECTURE CAN BE A FIELD FOR NOMINATION FOR NOBEL PRIZE.BUT WHEN YOU DEEPLY EXAMINE THE SO CALLED"PREVILAGED FIELDS" U'LL FIND THAT THEY ARE ALL CONTRIBUTING TO GOOD OF MANKIND IN A GREAT EXTENT.WHETHER IT MAY BE PEACE ,SCIENCE,OR LITERATURE.U KNOW LITERATURE IS THING THAT CAN AFFECT THE CULTURE ,THE THINKING, THE ACTION AND MANY THINGS OF IMPORTANCE IN ONE'S LIFE .THE PRIZE FOR PEACE- ACCORDING TO ME THIS IS THE TOUGHEST ONE TO GET-ITS A LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD FOR LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT FOR THE CAUSE OF THE POOR,HUMAN WELFARE..ETC.VARIOUS FIELDS OF SCIENCE LIKE PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY.. CREATED DRASTIC CHANGES IN LIFE OF MAN THROUGH WONDERFUL INVENTIONS FOR WHICH THEY ARE AWARDED THIS PRECIOUS REWARD( FOR WHICH ARE REALLY ELIGIBLE).
COMPARING THESE FIELDS ARCHITECTURE IS NOWHERE .

AFTER ALL, WE PEOPLE IN THE FIELD OF ARCHITECTURE DONT HAVE ANY RIGHT TO INCLUDE IT IN THAT LIST.
KENNY
kenny p joy

Don't underestimate Architecture

Postby nipesh » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:08 am

Hi Kenny,
Why are you underestimating Architecture.....we people are the builders of the world...........just see that, even the place, where Nobel prize is given is designed by an architect......just as literature reflects the culture same way Architecture too.....most close of all to human life is Architecture....only thing is that it has been ignored for long time in places like ours.
Architecture is changing human life, it provides low cost housing for poor and a luxurious residence for Richies.....Architecture is as important as others so why can't we get the same status too.
nipesh

architecture

Postby kenny p joy » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:47 am

hi nipesh ,
In the beginning of the discussion in my post,i mentioned that things depend the way of thinking.i think our ways of thinking are quite different atleast in this regard.
I didnt underestimate architecture..i was just comparing the stand of architecture along with the fields included for nobel prize..ok!I accept that personnels in architecture have done great wonders in the history of mankind .but in the eligibility for this precious reward ,i clearly mentioned about-"a great achievement for the GOOD OF MANKIND".where in architecture can u find such an element of sacrifice.how can u account for the good of the mankind by designing a building .ofcouse they may represnt a culture.. but for just a representation should it be given a nobel.if then the dress designers in each culture should also given this!for they are also doing the same work.and do you think because the place where nobel prize was designed by an architect, nobel should be awarded for it?what rubbish are telling .think through the brain of an eighteen year old adult.
if u are still mad of this, try out something useful..sent a letter to the propietors of Nobel prize on this regard and beg for ur wish !if u are too lucky u'll succeed.
BEST WISHES!
KENNY
kenny p joy

Postby ajay » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:59 am

Dear Mr.Nipesh,
Namaskaaram.
Your query seems to be a natural and honest one and shows your passion of the subject. It also shows the growth of the subject and its enormous impact on the people and establishments on the globe.
But, before giving it a second thought Mr.Nipesh, please read this:

" The Prizes, as designated in the Will of Alfred Nobel, are in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature and Peace. Only once during these years has a prize been added ? a Memorial Prize ? the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, donated by the Bank of Sweden to celebrate its tercentenary in 1968. The Board of Directors later decided to keep the original five Prizes intact and not to give permission to more additions. "
Read the sentence in red. This is taken from the official site of the Nobel Foundation. Can you persuade the Nobel Foundation Mr.Nipesh? If you can, then I think the experts should give serious thought on the topic. According to me, Mr.Nipesh has posted an intelligent topic and it needs some good thought.
Mr.Nipesh, please do visit "www.nobel.se".
ajay

Postby nipesh » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:09 am

Hi! Kenny,
You are still underestimating Architecture...........for your information just refer the Jantar Mantar at Delhi.....isn't it a marvellous work in Architecture......you know when it was built.....at that age when they had no computers this so called building helped to predict weather and give help to farmers, so many astronomical recearch were done using Jantar Mntar......Is it not something worth while for a human life....
Architecture always effects your life my dear....
nipesh

Postby nipesh » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:17 am

Hi! Ajay,
You are right that Nobel foundation has decided not to add any more subjects but dear, the board of directors consists only humans and decisions can be changed as per the situation..................
When Nobel wrote his will he might have not given that importance to Architecture, but now the role and aspects of Architecture are entirely different from what it has been 100 yrs back.........
nipesh

Postby ajay » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:24 am

DearMr.Kenny,
Namaskaaram.
Your second reply to Mr.Nipesh's question was really a thoughtless act.Do you mean to say that Architecture doesn't contribute anything for the good of mankind? You said:

" where in architecture can u find such an element of sacrifice. "
Where in Physics do you expect to find your element of sacrifice? Where in Economics can you find that which you mentioned? And what about Literature? It is not the amount of sacrice that counts but, it is the greatness of the mind. It is the genius that matters. Do you say that Architecture produces no geniuses? That can Architecture be considered as as field for The Nobel is not something that is to be viewed so childishly. So Mr.Kenny, please put forward some valid and strong viewpoints to make your view clear. Good bye.
Your friend.
ajay

Postby Richard Haut » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:56 am

It is a great idea if architecture can show a contribution that really does make the world a better place to live.

As for it being different from a hundred years ago, there was more concern then than now for architecture to improve the lives of people.

Individual architects may be able to make and show that contribution when too many (especially of those with flashy publicity) are more concerned with their own agendas than the improvement of the built environment and in some cases actually disregard the needs of humanity.

Perhaps that is the reason that a Nobel Prize for architecture is such a good idea - to show respect for those who put the well-being of humanity first.
Richard Haut
millennium club

Postby nipesh » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:53 am

Hi! everyone,
I really wanted a whole lot of posts from you people......please feel free to post any thing to everything you feel about this topic..

At least let me know if you are with me or not...
nipesh

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:20 pm

I think it is more important for Architecture to strive for excellence from within, than to lobby for special external recognition.

A great building, within an appreciative general culture, is a lasting monument to its own contributions.

I'm skeptical that at the current naive level of general appreciation of architecture, certainly as it stands in the U.S., there is an adequate basis of collective understanding for awarding a singular prize of global significance. Someday, when there is broad acceptance of a valid theoretical framework for Architecture, thiings may be different.

Let a thousand great buildings bloom. Let the medals fall where they may.
Kevin
Site Admin

Return to Fireside Forum