NASA Head a climate-crisis denier...

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

NASA Head a climate-crisis denier...

Postby Kevin » Wed May 30, 2007 10:55 pm

National Public Radio (NPR) in the U.S. reports that NASA Administrator Michael Griffin has said, on the record in an NPR interview aired Thursday, May 31, 2007, that while he accepts that the climate of Earth is in fact warming, he disputes the idea that this global warming is necessarily a bad thing. Who's to say warmer is really worse, says Griffin!

In the NPR interview, Griffin says it is arrogant for any particular humans to determine for other humans that the current climate is superior to some subsequent climate which might be much warmer.

To frame the climate crisis as Griffin does, as an issue of choice among humans and no more, displays an absolutely titanic extreme of arrogance.

For the head of the world's largest civilian space agency to display such devastating ignorance - or such overwhelming politicization - on the outstanding scientific issue of our generation is just unacceptable.

Michael Griffin, climate-crisis denier, has to go.

Or at the very least, I can't collaborate in his continuing in office!

Please share your thoughts, and consider signing the petition:

Resignation of NASA Administrator Michael Griffin Petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/griffout/petition.html
Kevin
Site Admin

Climate crisis and nuclear power: different subject....?

Postby Ed Ziomek » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:43 pm

Kev... Michael Griffin's comments diminishing the climate crisis are one serious issue, and while we are discussing this category of problems...

With all that we know of the climate crisis and greenhouse gas emissions, is the revisiting of nuclear power a possible solution to the climate crisis and fossil- fuel carbon emissions? I have heard that spent fuel rods can now be replenished, instead of buried somewhere as dangerous waste.

Comments from 2001...
"On September 25, 2001, two months after the Bonn agreement dealt nuclear a significant reversal, the European Commission’s Director-General, Francois Lamoureux, declared that nuclear power is
unavoidable if the European Union hopes to succeed in both maintaining adequate energy supplies and reducing emissions levels. He estimated that “nuclear energy will account for savings of around 300 million tonnes in CO2 (carbon dioxide) emissions between now and 2010–equivalent to halving the number of vehicles on (European Union) roads.”
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/pa ... is/ghg.pdf

While we are on the topic of energy and climate crisis, among all the other viable energy sources, biomass, ethanols, wind energy, solar energy, shouldn't we also visit nuclear energy to immediately remedy climate crisis issues?
Ed Ziomek

Re: NASA Head a climate-crisis denier...

Postby allyshan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:03 am

How can I contact an astronaut or astronomer that works for NASA through the mail? I would like to share my thoughts with a professional astronomer from NASA and ask about their thoughts, too. Is it possible to contact one of them? If so, is there a particular person I should contact? Thank you.
allyshan

Return to Fireside Forum