Ahmeds... What is going on in Kenya?

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

Ahmeds... What is going on in Kenya?

Postby Ed Ziomek » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:50 pm

Ahmeds...you are from Kenya, but not in Kenya last we spoke.

What is going on in your home country? Is it a tribal or religious or political conflict?

What can anyone do?

What can the United Nations or United States do?
Ed Ziomek

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:43 pm

the US can do nothing but create problems see: empire in decline

the UN can call for new elections given the cheating found on both sides.
Antisthenes

Postby lekizz » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:12 pm

One can only hope a civilised country like Kenya can quickly sort its own problems out. There are several governments in Africa that are far more corrupt and devastating - Zimbabwe for example.
lekizz
millennium club

Postby Antisthenes » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:01 pm

let us hope they don't do what Mexico did (having a dual government after a contested/stolen election that does not work together or recognize each other)

letting stolen elections stand like usa did, look where that gets you...
Antisthenes

Massive casualties?

Postby Ed Ziomek » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:28 am

Anybody else heard... 100,000 dead in Kenya in the last week, and very little reporting of this news!?

As we have all said on this website, for the last 2-3 years...this is a delicate world we live in, and no place to be upsetting the harmonies and balances.

Is the human race programmed for periodic insanity and destruction?
Ed Ziomek

Postby Richard Haut » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:28 am

the figure of 100,000 appears to be the number in need of immediate humanitarian aid - with several hundred killed - as a result of the election chaos. (figures from Pravda).

as far as I can see this appears to be a dispute based on racial divisions and the need for a power-sharing arrangement, but why it has suddenly become so bad I don't know.

there is serious poverty in parts of Kenya.

greed and power, Ed - not chaos, just greed and power.

Pilger - one of the best journalists (the last of the few ?) - reported an Afghani woman activist as saying that life was better for women under the Taleban than under the US-backed Afghani regime today. Yes, they were persecuted under the Taleban, but they could safely move around the country. Not now.

hideous reference, for us in the West, isn't it ? How bad are we ? Worse than the Taleban. Believe it.
Richard Haut
millennium club

Postby Antisthenes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 am

i agree

have you see the movie Charlie Wilson's War ?

i recommend you do.
Antisthenes

Postby ahmeds » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:56 am

Kenya is facing political tribulations due to it's divisions along triballines. A country that isamong the best in Africa (ie educationally,military,economically and peace etc) is somehow having a silent sickness of tribal differences for a long time.
with the just concluded controversial elections, this has opened the hidden tribal differences that persist in my country. Despite loosing the elections Mr. Kibaki went on to assume presidential office and power, to the disbelief of everybody. Actaully and the truth is Mr. Kibaki lost the elections.
But his tribe Kikuyus,though well educated and dominate in many sectors in Kenya, have a record of arogancy and agressiveness. They are many in terms of numbers, but this time they became little , since the Luos- Mr.Raila's tribe ganged up with various minority tribes to face the Kikuyus.
By Kibaki taking the oofice in this way, he is coming closer to Mr. Mugabe,they are both ruling by silent force and ignorants of democracy. What is happening in Zimbabwe where inflation rose by amazing 8000% is the president is not wanted by the majority, and this is waht Mr.Kibaki is emulating.
Kenya, is a stable country, compared to all exceot South Africa,in sub sahara African countries. We have been the main peace brokers for most of the internal conflicts that are in our neighbours contires. Ruwanda, Burundi,Somalia,Uganda,Sudan all had civil wars and only Kenay stood by their sides. Tanzania,Mozambique, Ethopia are faced with poor economy problem thus, Kenay again became a country to help.
That is among the reasons that we have almost all international organisationsie UN, Redd Cross, etc located in Kenya.
Kenya's current and future problems will be easily overcomed if tribalism is kept aside. This will lead to the removing of single tribe dominance in politics anmd government and that will in turn give corruption a very good approach to be finished. Does everybody know that besides all it's good record it has , Kenya is still unabale to supply fresh piped water for consumption not in the country side but in major cities too? Does everybody know that still we are having almost daily interuption of electricty supply? and some hospitals have no medicines?
Corruption is the major disease that affects Kenya's growth. The last KANU government was removed for corruption activities that everyone witnessed and was un happy about. The same was repeated by Kibaki's government and in a span of very few years less than a quarter of KANU in power years.
International community can help by enforcing transparency. like other African countries kenya also depends on external aid to sustain it's budget> But I would persoanlly like to blame the donors for not taking the issue of transparency more seriously.
The United States, United Kindgom,Europoean Union, and others are capable of bring proserity to Kenya and Africa should they work more serioulsy and closely to wipe out corruption.
ahmeds

Postby ahmeds » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 am

Besides being faced by the problems of tribalism,and corruption Kenya is among the top best Three countries in Africa,economically, and the best Educationally and etc . So we can ask ourselves what wil lit be like should corruption and tribalism be either ended or minimised .
The Donors are spending huge amount of money and efforts to help us but unfortunately,still problems persit. This mainly due to greediness and absence of symapthy among our African leaders.
Actually,a lot of Kenyans,including me find there was no use of self independence from British.We flopped totally better we would have remained under colonial rule but just fought for eqaul rights. The leaders not only in Kenya but in Africa as a whole have kept self interst first thus making their countries poor. No African contry got independence from it's rulers and prospered! No and if there is any I challenge anyone to tell me.
Nigeria and the whole of west african countries have drowned in corruption and civil wars, South Africa is at the moment facing internal political tensions, Kenya too,Uganda is at war with rebels, Sudan is breaking up, Somalia still lost,Mozambique, Tanzania Zambia zimbabwe poverty is tearing them apart, Malawi, and others all are sailing in the same boat. In the north Tunisia,Libya, Morrocco,Egypt, show less concern to others.
There are only two african leaders whomI really admire, for their disply of how things should be done.And these are Nelson Mandela ( former President of South Africa) for peace and stability he brought to his country and General Abdulsalam Abubakar ( Nigeria- for toppling Military government and returning it to civilian rule with a short period of time)
I really wish every country lives in peace and happily but for and in Africa that is impossible without external help.
ahmeds

Stars among the clouds...

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:51 am

Ahmeds...

I realize that as this message is being created, there have been three days of demonstrations and guns being fired by the military trying to keep the peace in your country.

I believe that American or neutral investigators determined that the election was hijacked and Koffee Anan is due in Kenya on Tuesday.

Tell all your friends, what you already know..."The world is watching, and the world loves Kenya, we all hope for the best".

But let me change the subject slightly...in researching news of Kenya, I came across the following sensational music video that on the dancing and rythem and harmonies would be in the top 5 in the United States, TOMORROW! It is that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZLOzW5 ... re=related

Just one thing you could pass onto the producers of this amazing dancing tune... SHOW THE FEET! If you want a multi-million seller to happen with this same tune, have the editor show the dance steps of all those amazing dancers, and you will light up the American hip hop and dance crowds. With few exceptions, this is overwhelmingly better than virtually everyone on the American radio/TV!

Especially the tribal silhouette images! I was entranced with the motions, but NO FEET!!!!!

This music video is good enough for Madison Avenue in New York, or Paris, or Berlin, or Tokyo!

So...prayers on the social issues...and I am stunned at this sensational piece of audio, video, choreography design, an amazing addictive tune!

What more do you know about this group and who are the others like them?
Ed Ziomek

Return to Fireside Forum