Busch administration clearly a traitor to reason!

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

Postby solidred » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for your responses guys. Actually, I did hear something about water vapour being a greenhouse 'gas' somewhere.
And Kevin, I was coming to the same conclusion about how any one of these issues would need to be discussed individually in some detail to cover the ground I'm suggesting would convince me more... but in mentioning your reading habits, I can respect that your pithier statements actually represent the conclusion of a great deal of first class source information. It's not something, I'm afraid, that I simply took for granted. But now I know that, I have a whole different perspective on the issue.
As I said earlier, I think, although I read very widely indeed about a huge variety of stuff that interests me (for example, today it was 'The Female Brain' by Louann Brizendine :-) but Global Warming as an issue that directly affects architectural practice is something that's been sort of thrust upon us and it's frustrating to find onesself at the mery of any old pundit all of a sudden when one is used to a certain expertise in areas of practice and ways of thinking.
My dad was a maths and physics teacher before going on to become a lecturer in microprocessor science so I kinda get where you're coming from...

P.S. thought I'd let you all know that I'm posting this from the 24th floor of a Paris skyscraper... groovy old '70's looking megaplex it is too 8)

Postby Richard Haut » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:51 am

water vapour, cow farts ......

the point that Gore makes is that America's current path cannot be sustained.

America borrows money from China to buy oil from the Middle East. For a poorly educated failed oil executive that represents an impossible problem. America will become impoverished by the combination of debt and increasing dependence on increasingly expensive oil.

Cheney thinks ...... steal the oil .....

but even that has failed. So they consider trying to steal more oil - to control the world's major oil resources. Unfortunately to do that will involve a full-scale war.

the result has meant a rapid increase in oil prices - with the risk of it doubling or trebling purely because of the muddled and abusive US foreign policies. In addition, America's credibility has fallen so far that the mighty Dollar could became a second-rate currency.

this has all happened before: over coal and other natural resources. And where did that lead ? To 1914.

the problem is about waste and dirt. Whatever one's view of the assorted "theories", the reality is that the world's resources are finite.

Iran's (perfectly legal) seeking of nuclear power plants is far more sensible that the US Government's policy.

carry on the current path and oil will top $500 a barrel, and your cities will simply fail.

it takes proper and rational planning - not kneejerk resentment by corporations too poorly managed to cope with problems of their own making. America is being run like Enron.

wake up to your current position - and fast, or your lifestyles will be dramatically affected for a very long time to come.
Richard Haut
millennium club

Postby WorldDesigner » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Water vapor, cow shit, hot air..... so much crap out there man. By the time they wake up the ice pole has melted already man. Heck, they would rather chew it out and wonder if we got a problem, then when it kicks back on us will be too late. America has got itself into a hell of a mess baby. Iraq, Afghanistan, now what to do with Iran, rising anti sentiment and the like. Then the pessimits come to rant up the story into a nighmare scene of failing capitalism..... just forget all this man and let's start from scratch. Who is to blame for the environmental mess. America wake up do your part.

Re: Busch administration clearly a traitor to reason!

Postby WalkerARCHITECTS » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:45 pm

This was written before the economic melt down caused by the Bush Administration. Most of us are poorer now than when this was written in 2008.

Solar energy is now substantially cheaper. Prices for solar electricity have been coming down significantly for over 30 years. (The reason for the "bump" beween 2005 and 2008 was because of a silicon shortage.) Since follow on costs after installation are minimal for solar electricity, the relevant costs are for purchase and installation of the system (capital costs).

In 2010 installed residential solar prices were more than competitive with residential electricity prices after incentives. See cost example of a southwest house below. In 2013, solar residential prices without incentives are expected to reach "parity" with conventional utility prices. Cost components that make up a residential solar system are: system design, solar arrays, and the balance of system (BOS) which consists of an inverter, bi-directional billing meter, connection devices, and installation labor.

The average residential household in the southwest installs a 5 kWh system and in mid 2010 it cost about $5.00 per DC watt or $25,000. Utilities on the other hand typically install solar power systems in the 100 mega-watt or greater range. The installed utility system cost in 2010 was about $3.00 per watt (average) and is expected to drop to $2.15 to $2.40 by 2012. Progress is being made.

We still have the same battles going however; “So many lives are on the line right now. The system is crashing. It’s crashing economically and it’s crashing ecologically. The stakes are too high right now for us not to make the most of this moment.” —Naomi Klein

We celebrate progress. We have reached back to 2008 to grip the comment of that time. We desperately need to address the human activity that has triggered the climate crisis & members of the house and the senate still oppose changes desperately needed. We are getting the changes we need. But we are fighting ignorance every inch of the way.

This is our moment for Architects to be the drivers of change, to spur the change, to direct the change...to go beyond the confines of this email and our computers and go out into the world. It’s time to go out into the streets where the powers that be can see us and hear us–where we can not be politely ignored one second longer. We need to be visible and carry our message about the regressive political movement that is being touted. Let’s take the fate of this planet back from those who have no business deciding it. Let’s do it together. After all, we don’t call this thing a Network for nothin’!

Design intelligence is required. We still need oil close to home to support the capacity to defend the nation. Even so, because we have largely squandered the last 3 years and failed to take action to bring solar energy more rapidly to reality, our choices are narrower now than they should be. We must challenge the denier of global climate change more aggressively and demand action compliance with the science. We are living in the final moments before President Obama makes a decision to approve or reject the construction of the dirty and dangerous Keystone XL tar sands pipeline. On November 6, exactly one year before the election, thousands of protesters will come together in a phenomenal act.

They will completely encircle the White House in an act of solidarity to convince President Obama to make the right decision to reject the Keystone XL. If not this oil then where will it come from. We need the oil close to home and we only have 2% of the worlds reserve. What do we need to do most urgently?

Protect the food chain. That should make the list!

Many of America's fisheries are depleted, some to the point of near collapse now and we were not so damaged in 2008. Catch shares, a proven fisheries management tool that rewards sustainable fishing, is the best option but the same barriers we had in 2008, are still actively engaged in denial and obstruction of a rational correction.

As genetically engineered (GE) salmon fights its way toward FDA approval, Alaska's senators are stepping up with a new bill to protect your health and wild salmon populations. NO ONE KNOWS what will happen if the GE fish are released into the wild!

GE salmon is still an untested and potentially unsafe food. Senator Begich's new bill would prevent GE salmon from ever reaching your plate, even if the FDA approves it, by making it illegal to sell or transport the fish across state lines. This bill would go a long way toward protecting your health and the environment from this Frankenfish, and it needs more co-sponsors to help it pass.

The mass extinction of species marches on. Republicans are still telling lies to protect profits!

We taxpayers help pay for $10 billion in government subsidies to the oil, coal and natural gas industries each year. Should we do that?

Companies like Exxon Mobil and Shell are seeing a robust increase in profits. Exxon Mobil just reported quarterly earnings of $10.3 billion, a surge of 41% from last year and Shell's net income rose to $6.98 billion from $3.46 billion in the same period in 2010. Big oil is trying to shut down funding for solar energy.

Is that progress?

These companies then turn around and spend more than $100 million on Washington lobbyists to protect their subsidies and lobby for more drilling. In 2010, that paid for 802 oil and gas lobbyists.

Regressive; Climate change denial supported by special interest lobbies.

And then, those lobbyists, in the name of energy independence, demand that we open up millions of acres of pristine American lands and wildlife habitat, including the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, to drilling.

So we need the pipeline now because we stalled and failed to prepare back in 2008. Traitors to reason still in the way!

Return to Fireside Forum