Architecture and Politics

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

Postby Architorture » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:17 pm

okay i think we have gotten sufficiently off topic here....

like i said before...i don't want this to be a "bush is a dumbass thread"
Architorture
millennium club

Postby Architorture » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:38 pm

what about the tax cut signed by bush this past week providing cuts for architecture and engineering firms...?

although it more or less redesignated A/E firms as being part of the 'manufacturing industry' what are the ramifications of that if any?
Architorture
millennium club

Bush

Postby SDR » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:41 pm

Okay, what about this week's tax cut (signed without fanfare yesterday aboard Air Force One) -- any effect on the profession?
SDR
millennium club

Postby Architorture » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:59 pm

do you have a more specific name for the bill?
Architorture
millennium club

Architecture and politics

Postby iamanamateur » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:09 am

I'm a bit late joining this, and I don't know the name of the bill, I was thinking more generally in terms of each candidate's attitude to the international environment.

There has been a study of US embassies, for example, which during the cold war were designed as wide open spaces and seemed to symbolise everything to do with the values of American society, freedom etc, etc, and then there was an attack on the Iranian embassy, I think that's where it started, and since then the design of American embassies has been more and more enclosed and security focused. Does that make sense? So the architecture has changed from wide open and free and light and stuff to something more, um, more I don't know, cramped, perhaps?

The book is: The Architecture of Diplomacy by Jane Loeffler.

I'm aware this isn't what you specifically want and it's historical, not current, but at the same time, it's an idea.... plus it's more subject to external influences rather than the personal ideas by individual presidents, but um... yeh...
iamanamateur

Postby Architorture » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:27 am

no of course this is what i want...although its more history its still an important precedent...

there of course will be a discussion of how do you design a democracy in iraq...considering the presense of gigantic palaces and statues have a stigma to them from saddam's rule
Architorture
millennium club

Postby iamanamateur » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:55 am

I never thought of that. unfortunately the website "iraqiarchitects.com" appears to have been hacked... but there is other stuff, particularly if you check out www.baghdadmuseum.org, there's an interview with an architect in it.
Um the other thing that came to mind when I first saw all this was the rebuilding of Ground Zero and Libeskind's involvement and the hassle he's getting over it, I think that's more local politics than national (see how I love giving inappropriate suggestions?)

As for Kerry and architecture... Teresa Heinz Kerry is an advocate of green architecture. That's kinda cool. If he gets elected his wife can hen-peck him into being ecologically friendly.
iamanamateur

Previous

Return to Fireside Forum