impacts of hurricane Earl... New York tornados... etc!

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

impacts of hurricane Earl... New York tornados... etc!

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Wondering who in our community is starting to see Earl? Especially given our special connections to North Carolina...

Please drop a line and us know if and how Earl is changing things for you today, and in days to come!

A beautiful sunrise starts the day on the Outer Banks of North Carolina this morning...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rasmikey/4951202364/

ComputerWorld - As Earl Looms, Tips to Batten Down IT
http://bit.ly/bRJc8s

Hurricane Earl at the National Hurricane Center:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.sh ... l#contents
Last edited by Kevin on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Site Admin

A very important question

Postby Ed Ziomek » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:43 am

Kev... as we all know by now, the Hurricane Earl story for the most part went away with minor beach erosions, and very little damage.

But there was a very good story on WCBS AM radio on some communities actually using the non-event-time as a practice drill for the real thing.

Consider Pakistan who had the typhoon displace millions of persons from their homes, and were forced to drink sewer water because that's all they had.

In the midst of this clean water shortage, the aid packages contained rice, which of course needed clean water, which in many cases they did not have.

The night before the non-arrival of the hurricane, I watched the most wine-red sunset I have ever seen, almost crimson sunset, beautiful.

And I saw a whole army of power trucks from up-state heading for Long Island, the expected impact location.

What I think is lulling us into inactivity is that America ASSUMES we will have power up and running. Power to run pumps. Power to run gas stations. Power to run filtration plants. Power is the first consideration, I think.

I think this is a dangerous assumption.

If I were President, I would get that demobilized Saturn plant back up and running churning out water filtration trailers, that could be airdropped or trucked into remote locations, all over the world. Ditto the Humvee folks who shut their factory. Get our men and women back to work providing solar or wind powered clean water generators or filtration systems.

Have these trailers small enough to fit into our C130 aircraft, to be airdropped if need be, if our infrastructure roads are knocked out.

In the event of no natural disaster, these same units would supplement bad water areas where clean water is not guaranteed.

I am told that Pakistanis can actually see worms and small creatures moving around in the water they were forced to drink, and the consequence was as you know, cholera, dysentery, diarrea, etc.

We got a lucky break, but I say America is really not fully prepared for the real devastating calamity, such as a Katrina event, every year from here on out.

Solutions we may have learned from this miss? Put Americans to work churning out green, self sustaining, water filtration systems, in the event we have traditional electrical power lost.

You have asked an important question that should be addressed, we will have calamities in our future, and I don't think we are as prepared as we should be.

Be proactively prepared!
Ed Ziomek

Four tornado events in New York Metropolitan area

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Just an FYI, myself and all other citizens of the New York metropolitan areas are wondering the same thing:

there have been four tornado events in the area in the last six months.

....from New York News and Features...
"There Was Definitely a Tornado in New Jersey Last Night"
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/09/th ... rnado.html

An unscientific guess is that the norm for microshears and wind storms and tornados in the Northeast area is one every 3 to five years. Not including the "Noreaster storms" usually occurring in the winter months, these deadly events are extremely rare.

4 in 6 months? One fatatlity was recorded yesterday as a tree fell on a car during a minor tornado, on the Grand Central Parkway in sight of the US Open and Citi Field.

Preparation note: I am told that in Paris, France, for example, tall trees are being trimmed to half their normal size to limit the damage to property and persons during these strong wind events.

On the side of safety, Municipal, City, County, and State government agencies are responding to the increasing rate of these strong events.

Something is different about the weather.
Ed Ziomek

Thanks Kev...

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Kev, on a select basis, a television commercial pops on the screen that gets me jacked, that says it all...

Just now, "That's logistics" from UPS... song, visuals, message, liftoff!

So true. Connecting the need, with the speed!

America gets it done, thanks UPS!
Ed Ziomek

Tornados in California, Washington...

Postby Ed Ziomek » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Two clips, earthshaking politics across our country, nasty weather, first of all New Jersey's Chris Christie shutting down a protester with the CLASSIC, PATRIOTIC words...

"We are here to bring this country together, not to divide it."

EARTHQUAKES. TORNADOS. TSUNAMIS IN THE HOUSE!

Chris Christie, a huge, huge turning point for me. Astonishing.

"Chris Christie smacks down heckler"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... wn-heckler

Velma Hart, former service veteran
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... g_you.html

I am a way-strong a President Obama fan, yet I can't help but yell and praise true Americans for STANDING up!!!

Are we better off than we were 4 years ago, yes, but major, major changes need to be made, and the first one is getting our people back to work!

America, let's make it happen. Get it done!
Ed Ziomek

Water filtration bicycle

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:10 am

An Ordinary bike filters water to make it drinkable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U-mvfjyiao
Ed Ziomek

Dialogue: Hurricanes, Tornados, now CIA Glaciar Melting?

Postby Ed Ziomek » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:20 am

Note: My good Pakistani friend, who I have known for a few good years, and he was telling me of the perceptions among his countrymen, that the utterly devastating floods in Pakistan, which extend from the mountains down to the sea, - the perception was that possibly some foreign agency caused the devastation by putting chemicals on the glaciars in the Himalayas.

And my answer is... "Yeah, but look at what we have right here in New York, we have had four tornados in the last six months! I mean that has never, never happened in my lifetime, something is changing."

And he responded, something to the effect, "Well, in all my lifetime, these rivers never flooded this way, entire valleys have washed away, the huge glaciars are melting like never before, we have had two major earthquakes recently, at the same time whole parts of Russia are burning up."

And to my credit (???), I showed him on his internet link, my Google Earth images of human habitats down 10,000 to 14,000 feet under today's oceans...."And if humans lived down at 10,000 feet under today's sea level, that meant Manhattan and this area would be 10,000 feet high, where no crops could grow, where the air is too thin for most people to live, and the legend has it we had 1 mile of ice over our heads! The world is changing, it's getting warmer, we can't stop it."

So the net, net, if perception is reality, add "glaciar melting conspiracies" to the CIA urban legend list.
Ed Ziomek

Possible culprit, Icelandic Volcano: Eyjafjallajökull

Postby Ed Ziomek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 pm

I think I may have an answer for my good Pakistani friend... I think the Icelandic volcano is the "bad guy" who may have dusted the Himalayas with volcanic ash, as well as made the atmosphere around the Northeast Americas warmer.

Consequence? Major a-typical flooding in China and Pakistan, and tornados in New York.

The Big Picture by Alan Taylor

Iceland's disruptive volcano (April, 2010)

Today, British civil aviation authorities ordered the country's airspace closed as of noon, due to a cloud of ash drifting from the erupting Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland. The volcano has erupted for the second time in less than a month, melting ice, shooting smoke and steam into the air and forcing hundreds of people to flee rising floodwaters. The volcanic ash has forced the cancellation of many flights and disrupted air traffic across northern Europe, stranding thousands of passengers. Collected here are photos of the most recent eruption, and of last month's eruptions, which were from the same volcano, just several miles further east. (18 photos total)"

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... lcano.html

By the way, on my amateur etymology side, the name Eyjafjallajökull seems to indicate...

Essence/Spirit of Valhalla of God
Aaaa-chah-Fal-hal-la-of-Ella (???)

What greater manifestation of God, whose explosion covered the entire world at the upper atmosphere, than this volcano.

Amazing to me.
Ed Ziomek

from BBC Tonight... record floods in Benin, West Africa

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:44 am

Apparently we are at the start of a mega-worldwide climate crisis.

BBC Worldwide tonight speculated just this scenario after remarking on the mega floods of Pakistan, and now in the past week, Benin, West Africa.

There may be as many as 700,000 displaced persons in Benin, literally half the country flooded, which is cataclysmic in such a poor country.

Benin Under Water, by Daniel Sellen
http://blogs.worldbank.org/category/tags/benin-floods

The commentators remarked as we have done, there is something totally unprecedented in these climatic events "...that may make more and more of the earth uninhabitable."

And it is only beginning, as they were suggesting these scale of events will repeat themselves all over the world.
Ed Ziomek

Return to Fireside Forum