Video Games Help Autistic Kids? Cure possibilities.

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

Video Games Help Autistic Kids? Cure possibilities.

Postby Ed Ziomek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:54 pm

As I have explained before, my grandson is autistic, and this disability now effects 1 in every 100 children born (or 1 in 120), and I have heard the rate is 1 in 50 in at least one municipality.

Autism as you may well know, is a spectrum disability with all children different, all results can vary.

And, with all the research, their is some good news... from MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40138734/ht ... /40138734/

Child with autism connects with Kinect ... by Wilson Rothman
When Kyle's father got Xbox's motion control system, he had no idea it would be a breakthrough for his boy

But I want to share with the readers my own wonderful experiences, as in my response given to the article...

"I am ecstatic at this story, and I want to let you share mine, the grandfather of an autistic son. Yes, the second child who is a boy seems to be autistically inclined in the probability curve. First symptoms, avoidance with the eye contact. Second symptom, biting ...out of frustration.

To say my autistic son is 25% normal, maybe 40% now at 5 years old is so TREMENDOUS ACCOMPLISHMENT for him and for all of us.

Here is the method. There may be epilepsy involved. His pupils have danced in uncontrolled vibration (i.e. REMS). It may be physically painful for him to concentrate on multiple stimuli, so reduce all distractions you can, LET HIM FOCUS on one item only, like a video game. Autistic kids seem to be extremely linear, one item at a time.

Family conflict or multiple sensations, or multiple conversations, and "Tommy" goes into sort of a panic attack, too much stimuli.

By himself now, one on one, very harmonious atmosphere, and he is soooo much better, he is almost genius, ...ready for this, at these moments, he even is the comedian "making funny" word games, which he laughs at, and we find hilarious.

And finally, love, calmness, caring!!!! TELL HIM/HER HE/SHE IS WONDERFUL, and that you understand his frustration, and that you love him/her with all your heart.

Do we have a long way to go? Yes. Will my son ever be more than 60% normal, probably not. But we are so thankful to be able to interact with my grandson, for the very first time, there is enormous hope for everyone with this condition. Love, love, and more love.

And YOU WILL BE AMAZED!!!! Yes, autism is a spectrum disability and no two are alike, no two results will be the same, but it is epidemic in America, and 1 out of every 50 children in one municipality, I am told.

I suspect the combination of anti-depressants (used by my daughter in law), chemical preservatives in fast foods, birth control pill exposure, and toxic water probably all contributed to the situation. Think about it, all fetus start out as female and progress on occasion towards male babies. In that chemical transaction, something is stopped. That might explain why - do not have the autism incidence of boys. Just my amateur opinion.

Excellent subject, wonderful story.

Wilson Rothman, author hero in my book! God Bless you for posting this.
Ed Ziomek

slight typo, Kev...

Postby Ed Ziomek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Folks, I mistakenly did not segment the article quotation, with my own response to Wilson Rothman's wonderful article. I should have made the difference more clear.... Here is how the two pieces should have been displayed... Wilson Rothman's article lookup, with my own experience.

And, with all the research, their is some good news... from MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40138734/ht ... /40138734/

Child with autism connects with Kinect ... by Wilson Rothman
When Kyle's father got Xbox's motion control system, he had no idea it would be a breakthrough for his boy"...

Start of my response saying thanks.....

"But I want to share with the readers my own wonderful experiences, as in my response given to the article... "
Ed Ziomek

Autism Success Stories, Compilation

Postby Ed Ziomek » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 am

Folks, taking it the next logical step, I searched under the tersm...

Autism +Success

...and came up with several websites for Parents of autistic children to learn about strategies for what I now consider to be a treatable condition.

Autism Success Stories: Share Yours Today!By Lisa Jo Rudy
http://autism.about.com/b/2007/11/06/au ... -today.htm

Autism Success Network
http://www.positive-action.net/autism/

Autism: Interventions and Strategies for Success Susan Stokes
http://www.specialed.us/autism/index2.htm

National Autism CenterSuccess Stories
http://www.nationalautismcenter.org/success/

Certainly, I wish to convey all our prayers for your success. Have the mother and father stay off all alchohol, tobacco, and prescription medications, and probably stay away from all foods containing preservatives, if at all possible, those are my amateur, non-scientific opinions.

And love your children, care for your children, praise your children, spend quality time with your children, like I know you will. Remember that commercial from a few years ago... "Give your children the most precious gift of all, give them your time."
Ed Ziomek

Return to Fireside Forum