Megachurch

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

Megachurch

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:33 pm

"Isn't it about time you laughed again?"

The scary new face of consumer religion. . .

www.nytimes.com/2005/03/27/magazine/327MEGACHURCH.html

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby Architorture » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:37 pm

2 or 3 of these have popped up around buffalo recently... its ridiculous... its like the super sized mcChurch with a mcReligion to match....

they had a big write up in the buffalo news about the one and how many catholics [like 90% of buffalo is catholic or something along those lines] are now going to these megachurches b/c they are 'more fun'

i just laughed... they are so horrible...
Architorture
millennium club

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:46 pm

Decades of misleading education, and plenty of distractions, have left much of the public unable to discern the truth. And wouldn't most people rather hear "good news" than painful truth, anyway?

Eager leaders and a gullible public "do not a good combination make"!

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby Architorture » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:54 pm

well they have succeeded in making religion nice and consumable... show up on sunday with 2000 of your closest friends, have a ball then get back to it until the next fun-filled weekend...

i'll live with my guilt and sad sad religious services heaped in tradition... i have a problem with blue grass-like bands anyway....which all of these churches seem to have at least one...
Architorture
millennium club

Postby Richard Haut » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:11 pm

there was a version of this that started in Britain some years ago - they became known as the happy-clappers.

not only did they consider themselves to be Christian, but to be real Christians and everybody else was some sort of fake.

their main concerns seemed to be to have a better BMW than anybody else at the church and they prayed (so I am reliably informed) for people who were going on skiing holidays.

and poor children ? they did not live in those sorts of neighbourhoods.
Richard Haut
millennium club

The jist of it

Postby usarender » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:27 pm

One has to read th entire article to get the jist of it. I myself am familiar with that Warren congregation, having attended there while living in Saddleback. Of course that was 16 years ago. Much change since then. A sign of the times.

"What remains to be seen is how many of the congregants McFarland is adding are just passing through evangelical Christianity the way that many of them are, no doubt, just passing through Surprise -- in short, whether the exurban megachurch represents the future of Christianity in this country or whether it is just another chapter in the evolving story of the American seeker."
usarender
millennium club

Postby Antisthenes » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:42 pm

hahahah

above the door of one mega church:
"freethinking ends here"
Antisthenes

Return to Fireside Forum