Text issues in High Sierra

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Text issues in High Sierra

Postby lilwhitney » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Have had High Sierra running for a month or so - and just had an issue come up while using PowerCADD 9.1.8. No text is showing up when typed in. Pen colors and background colors seem to be ok. Any thoughts.
Done a first aid in disk utility and re-started. Baffled.
lilwhitney

Re: Text issues in High Sierra

Postby patrickm » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:57 am

Have you tried using a different font? When I tried High Sierra, I had similar issues with the Avant Garde font, which I had been using since the 1990's. (After that issue, I downgraded to Sierra since I couldn't afford the time to look into a fix or another find another suitable font. This same concern is one reason why I haven't moved onto Mojave either.)
patrickm

Postby Joe Mattei » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:20 am

I have a standard drawing sheet set up. I've used it for years with a few modifications along the way. It uses the Helvetica font. When I open it now, the text is weird and text seems to be missing on dimensions and for general text input. I have to go back and reset the drawing to Helvetica again and then there are no problems.
Joe Mattei

Postby pbacot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:49 am

Joe Mattei wrote:I have a standard drawing sheet set up. I've used it for years with a few modifications along the way. It uses the Helvetica font. When I open it now, the text is weird and text seems to be missing on dimensions and for general text input. I have to go back and reset the drawing to Helvetica again and then there are no problems.

How do your "reset a drawing" to Helvetica?
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Joe Mattei » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:46 am

Actually, I reset the individual tools associated with text.
Joe Mattei

Postby pbacot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm

I find that all my drawings have Times somewhere (although I am not consciously assigning that font). Now in High Sierra, it requests to replace Times font first time I open a drawing. Thereafter I guess it's changed and OK. I think I am OK with drawings containing Helvetica.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Does anyone have a process to follow regarding the Times problems on MacOS? Turns out my colleague uses Times on all of his drawings and if open a file it will change the font. Is there a Mac secret to fix this?
pbacot
millennium club

Postby David Jones » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:48 am

I also used helvetica in my drawings and times in my title block. In High Sierra and Mojave I select all text, deselect title block and substitute Arial for Helvetica and Times New Roman for Times in title block. Works well!
David Jones

Postby patrickm » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 am

It's funny to me how things evolve and/or become obsolete eventually.

When I first started using PowerDraw in the early 1990's, we were using blueline prints of transparent vellum plots. I ran a test using various fonts, and my contractor's voted on Avant Garde as the most readable font with the least ghosting (on the blueline prints). I think the Avant Garde font came with our HP LaserJet printer.

Later, when I had a friend create my business cards, he used the Myriad font, which I then started using for my correspondence, too. I think Myriad came with OS X in about 2003.

Naturally, the only two fonts that I had issues with using High Sierra (and presumably will have issues with using Mojave) are Avant Garde and Myriad. I wish things that work would continue to work and that upgrades wouldn't break them.
patrickm

Postby CJH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm

I had this problem. When you upgrade the new OS may have the font you want in a system or other folder that Powercadd cannot access. I solved it by moving the font (or I may have copied it from another machine running the older OS) into a font folder that Powercadd can access. This was over a year ago so I don't remember the particulars, but if you google fonts in Mac OS you will find the higharchy offend folders that are accessed
CJH

Postby pbacot » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm

patrickm wrote:It's funny to me how things evolve and/or become obsolete eventually.

When I first started using PowerDraw in the early 1990's, we were using blueline prints of transparent vellum plots. I ran a test using various fonts, and my contractor's voted on Avant Garde as the most readable font with the least ghosting (on the blueline prints). I think the Avant Garde font came with our HP LaserJet printer.

Later, when I had a friend create my business cards, he used the Myriad font, which I then started using for my correspondence, too. I think Myriad came with OS X in about 2003.

Naturally, the only two fonts that I had issues with using High Sierra (and presumably will have issues with using Mojave) are Avant Garde and Myriad. I wish things that work would continue to work and that upgrades wouldn't break them.

A two edged sword, this evolving technology. I guess PowerCADD's appeal to me is that it doesn't change, but I sort of expect good change (and a little bad) in computer tech otherwise. Some things did get either messed up or lost in the recent equipment upgrades I am doing. I remarked to my wife (in a moment of frustration) it's sometimes like having a tool belt and one day you reach for your hammer and it's not a hammer anymore- or at least you have to learn to use it in a new way --or you have to reset a bunch of stuff to get it back. You tend to depend on being fluent with your tools.

Still there are many things to be grateful for in the end. I've reloaded my whole system twice in the last few weeks with Time Machine. Hardly a glitch, but the occasional hammer turning into a flamingo.
Last edited by pbacot on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Solved. Thanks for the pointers. What I did was get a couple versions of Times that were on my colleague's machine from Macintosh HD/ System / Library / Fonts. and put them in User / ~Library/ Fonts on my machines.

It was going to trip us up every time either of us opened a PCADD file used by the other, and be a real problem / time-waster. Otherwise I would not have messed with it.
pbacot
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion